•  

37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tieko is offline Member

Red face Hcg levels at 7 weeks with twins??

Ahh I'm freaking out slightly!! Last week my doctor sent me for an early ultrasound as I had extreme morning sickness with this bub, and he was worried it may be because of a 'reason' such as molar pregnancy/twins etc. The ultrasound at 6w6d (so 7 weeks) only showed one bub and a perfect pregnancy but the sonographer said there could always be another one hiding behind it! I just brushed it off as I don't think it would be that easy to miss another bub, however I just got my hcg levels back which were taken the same day as the scan and the doctor told me they wer in the 90,000s!! He said it is still within 'normal range' but really high (average hcg for 6w6d is 45,000 apparently). So now I'm freaking out slightly! I'd really like to know if you have it recorded - what was your twin hcg at 7 weeks?? And is it easy to miss a bub at a scan at 7 weeks?? I'm being sent for another ultrasound at 8 weeks. Oh - and I have no twin history in our families!
    ME: 26 ~loves~ DP: 28
    DS:7
    DS:5

♥ Bubby #3 due November 11th 2010 ♥

~I intend to live forever - so far so good!~

Kylie is offline Member

I wouldn't freak out yet A single HCG number wont tell you much.......an indicator that I was having twins both times was that my early HCG numbers were doubling very quickly, not specifically what the number was.

I found that other singleton pregnancies that were recorded were higher than mine at any given time, but mine doubled faster.

The normal range is very very wide.

Tieko is offline Member

Thanks Kylie - I have no idea about it all! The only other blood test I had was at 5 weeks, and that was in the 8,000s ...so in two weeks it went from 8,000 to 90,000, is that a lot?

xxCASSxx is offline Member

Hun in my first preg i had 120k+ for 7 weeks this one i am not sure but i would presume similar as at 5+4 it was 60k+

Me 24 DH 27
    DD1 My Big Bear 2009

DD2 My Lil Squeak 2010

BreakingDawn is offline Capeless Moderator!

Tieko,

No, based on going from 8,000 to 90,000 in two weeks, would give you a doubling time of 96hours - which is very normal.

Have a look at the beta base HcG doubling chart - you'll see the doubling range is quite normal.

If your scan showed only one bub, I'd assume that you are not having twins. Like Kylie said, HcG is more indicative in terms of doubling times, not single numbers.
    Manic Mummy (30)
    Josh and Ben born 12/Nov/2005 - Five year old school boys!

Seek first to understand...then to be understood
    ~ birthtalks Moderator ~ birth Multiples Lists ~

naibabi is offline Member

Don't mean to freak you out but not finding a twin at a 7 week scan definitely can happen... I had a scan at 10 weeks, 12 weeks, 20 weeks and 28 weeks... It wasn't till the 28 week scan that they found I was having twins...

My HCG levels at 6 weeks were only 2604
    Me 27 Him 35

DS - 30/5/10 so in love with my little man

Jack's Birth Story

#2 is on the way!!! EDD 7/5/14

BrookeSyd is offline Member

that HCG level is definitely nothing to worry about in isolation. As PP have said, it's all within normal ranges. I too had extreme vomitting and very high HCG levels (7w4d = 220,000) and was sent off for a scan to confirm that it wasn't a molar or twin pregnancy. My singleton DD is the result.

Oh and twins are in my family - I am a twin myself.

Try to stay calm - there's nothing to "suggest" you're having twins.
    Me DH
    "Mr Chatterbox!" May 2007
    "Miss If My Big Bro Can Do It, I Can Do It Too!" June 2009

So in love with my family!

I still to this day dont know what my HCG levels were with ANY of my pregnancies. Just been told Im preg and alls normal
    but I ahvent had twins (pretty sure I only have one im my tum this time round).

We thought it couldve been a possibility this time round being that I was quite alot sicker this time round and my hormones are more out of whack (apparently my dads bio mum said she was like that when she was preg with her twins aswell)
    H-Sept 05
    J-June 07
    L-Sept 10
    *Please do not reproduce for FB*

gorgeous is offline Member

I can't help on the HCG front as I only have my levels for 4+5 weeks and they were within the normal range for that gestation. My current (twin) pregnancy progressed very much along the same lines as my first (singleton pregnancy). The only real difference I noticed early on was that I was much more exhausted than first time around, but I just put it down to having to run after a toddler. So we really had no inkling there were 2 in there until our first scan at 12 weeks.

I think Nai's experience is pretty unusual these days. If an u/s specifically looking for a second baby can't find one, I think you're pretty safe on that front. But, should there really be 2 in there its not the end of the world. You'll love them just the same.
    DS#1 23/6/07 - birth story
    DD & DS#2 29/7/10 - birth story

Tieko is offline Member

Thankyou for the replies girls! Just thought I'd post an update for anyone who googles and comes across this post - scan showed only ONE healthy bub! My hcg levels are still through the roof and in 'twin range' (which explains the extreme nausea I experienced) but it seems my little singleton bub just wants to make itself known in a big way I also had spotting which apparently is common in multiple pregnancies (had a lot of indicators pointing to twins really whichis why the gp sent me for the second scan!) but that was also explained as they found old blood outside the sac...very relieved!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast