35 - 36 week

•  

37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How long can a baby stay inside after waters break?

Hi,

i am 33.5wks pregnant and my waters broke yesterday and labour started.

As this will be my 4th c/s i cannot have a natural birth so i was flown to Sydney last night and have been given numerous medications to stop the contractions but ultrasound has shown there is next to no fluid left around the baby.

I have been given all the steroids and antibiotics and they are now trying to sit it out with bub inside for as long as possible.

I am just worried that he is in there with no fluid, i had polyhydramnios so gushed bucket loads for 14 hrs and am now bleeding. i went from looking like i was 40wks pregnant yesterday to today looking like i might be almost 20wks.

I know i am in hospital but still feel he would be better on the outside then in an empty womb

What are your thoughts...???
    Mum of four wonderful kiddies
    DS1 - 11
    DD - 8
    DS2 - 4
    DS3 - 9mths - my 33 weeker
    Now doing it on my own - wish me luck!
    ***please do not reproduce for facebook***

DFH's Mummy is offline Member

I'm sorry this is happening, it must be pretty scary. I don't have anything really helpful for you, only well wishes for you and bubs. Thinking of you.

Ranibelle is offline Member

I don't know how long baby can stay.......but isn't there a risk of infection if you don't deliver soon? I would be requesting a c-section asap. But that is just my opinion
    DS - born at 32 weeks 2006
    DD born at 25 weeks 2008

Prem number 3 expected somtime between september and November

OMG 38 weeks pregnant! A full term baby on board! Booked for arrival monday 26th October:

ABC
    ABC is offline Member

As Ranibelle has already stated theres a possiblity of infection but they have you on antibiotics, so from my understanding the best thing is for bubs to stay put.

Maybe ask for a Dr or Midwife to come and talk with you so that you can hear for yourself what the pros and cons are. Its totally not fair for them to keep you guessing

HTH
    Mishmash

Best of luck

pamb is offline Member

I think they would be giving the baby the time for the steroids to work so there aren't any lung problems. So ong as you're in hospital and being monitored a lot I wouldn't panic. When it comes to prems every day inside is a long time to develop.
    Me, Him
    Jet 31w5d May 06
    Quinn 35w5d May 11

"It seemed to me," said Wonko the Sane, "that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane."

kuttlefish is offline Member

I know of someone who have stayed put like that for 6 weeks! I'm not sure of her levels of fluid though, just that their waters had broken. I was actually in a similar position to you but my DS decided he couldn't wait and arrived the following day. Like you I was worried about the fluid levels as I gushed so much, but they were keeping an eye on the levels snd said bubs would be ok in there.

Rosie_78 is offline Member

My waters broke at 33+4 weeks (just a small hindwater leak) and due to the risk of infection my OB decided to induce me after giving me steroids and antibiotics. DS was born at 34+0 weeks. Having said that there were some midwives that looked after me that thought it would hvae been OK for me to wait for longer to have the baby. I understand that the amniotic fluid renews itself constantly.

All the best spunk bubble
    Me: 33
    DH: 33
    DS born June 08 at 34 weeks
    DD born Dec 10 at 39 weeks

Zenith is offline Member

{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

I assume you and bub are getting constant monitoring? Also, the liqour is replaced at sufficent amounts for the baby's needs. My freind's daughter had a very similar circumstances to you,she was in hospital for four weeks and an C/S was performed at 32.6 weeks as the baby was in distress. I recently was looking at photos of that time..... with my friend.

Gxxxx
    Mumma, friend, daughter,sister, RN and finally a Student Midwife!!!

Martina is offline Birth Admin

My SIL's waters broke (but not the gush - it was a trickle) and she stayed in hospital for about 3 weeks until she was 37wks before she delivered. Her bub still had to spend some time in NICU though (she was so tiny) but I don't think that was directly related to her waters breaking early.
    Marti-36 - Birth Administrator
    Gav-36
    Tristan - 11
    Ellie - 6 Ronan - 4 Krissie - 3

LIKE us on Facebook FOLLOW US on Pinterest FOLLOW US on Twitter

I think this remote is broken. I've pushed paused, power, sleep, mute, volume, nothing works! I don't understand! I'm pointing it right at the children!

Lisa is offline Member

I know of two cases. My besty's waters vroke at 32 weeks. she stayed in hospy for 4 weeks then went into labour and had baby!

When i was admitted while preg with G. the girl beside me, her waters broke at 33 weeks. She was admitted. She was rushed for a cs the next day as a routine trace found the baby going into distress. The OB made the right decision to cs as her placenta was badly infected.

So two very different cases. I think you need to make sure you have a trace on baby all day to pick up the first sign of distress, I would also want them to be doing swabs daily to pick up the first sign of infection.

Hugs to you

IS A PROUD SINGLE MUMMY!

L~B~G~W

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast