•  

37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

Default tightness in my chest

Hey there,

I'm going to be 28 weeks on Monday and for the last few hours i have been getting really bad tightness in my chest, (like my lungs have been squished and are bunched right up near the top of my chest cavity) and feeling really short of breath. It feels like one of the worst stitches i have ever had.

Is this something i should be worried about? It only seems to relax a bit when i lay flat on my back...
    Last edited by Lil Cookies Mum; 25-07-2009 at 10:00 PM.
    Me - 27
    Him - 31

BFP - 9/2/09 = Miss A - September 09 ~ Our Princess, Our World!

Miscarriage - Jan '13 & Mar '13

sansha is offline Member

Yes, tightness and chest pain can be a very bad sign (it can also be nothing but better safe than sorry). I would go to your local emergency department or at the very least, call nurse on call.
    Linus Robert - 15/9/06
    Hazel Ceridwen: 17/4/09

-C-section By Choice-

chracey is offline Member

If it were me I would be erring on the side of caution and getting it checked out asap...

Hopefully its just a muscle spasm or some really bad heartburn but it could also be something serious so better be safe than sorry...
    Me
    +
    Old Mr Girly Sperm
    =
    Our 3 Bambino's

That's all, that's all, there ain't no more!

I had tightness in my chest this morning too Kira. Mine disappeared within about 40 minutes so I didn't worry BUT if it's persistant, I'd say definately get it checked out...
    Me - the Twi-nerdDH - the computer geek 33

DS1 5
    DD 4 our breastfeeding journey ended after 22 months

DS2 2 >>birth story<< the boobie bandit at 2 1/2

Our family is perfect and complete

sansha is offline Member

She said it had been there for the last few hours.
    Linus Robert - 15/9/06
    Hazel Ceridwen: 17/4/09

-C-section By Choice-

Liney is offline Member

Breathlessness can be quite common in pregnancy but if it is tightness in the chest that may be different, sometimes your chest can feel tight because baby is pushing all the organs up, but see the quote in bold below..

See information quoted from this Breathlessness

"Your ribcage moves up and outwards to give you a greater lung capacity and, although it may not feel like it, you breathe more deeply during pregnancy. It's the normal changes in the levels of carbon dioxide in your system that are thought to make you feel breathless.

In late pregnancy, the size of your growing baby can start to contribute too. As your uterus begins really pushing your diaphragm toward your lungs, you'll probably experience some breathlessness, especially if you're carrying your baby high"

Breathlessness is normal during pregnancy but if you notice other alarming symptoms, such as chest pain, palpitations, a racing pulse, or clamminess in your fingers and toes, you should call your doctor or midwife.

Breathlessness can also be a sign of anaemia. Ask your midwife to check for this with a blood test if it's not been done recently.

If you're asthmatic, discuss your condition with your doctor or midwife. The risks to yourself and your baby of not controlling your asthma are much greater than the risks of taking asthma medication during pregnancy"

Me, Him
    DS1
    DD1
    DS2- In heaven born full term
    DD2 our sunshine after rain

Thanks guys.

I have been ok since about 10pm (it's 20 past midnight now) and i wasn't really clear in the first post. The tightness wasn't persistant but it had been happening on and off since about 5pm.
    I was thinking at the begining that it was just the baby sitting a bit higher than normal as when i layed down flat it disappeared. But now i just don't know...

It has gone for now but i might go to bed and see what happens in the morning and if it is there again i'll call the hospital and see what they suggest.

(I do actually have spasmatic cartilidge in my ribcage but this is a different feeling altogether. More like my lungs are being forced up into the top of my ribcage...)
    Me - 27
    Him - 31

BFP - 9/2/09 = Miss A - September 09 ~ Our Princess, Our World!

Miscarriage - Jan '13 & Mar '13