•  

37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AussieMum4 is offline Member

Unhappy HCG levels at 5 - 7 weeks???too low??

Hi to you all!

This is my 6th pregnancy (sadly had 2 m/c's already) and am due Sept 20, making me 6 wks 6 days pregnant today. I had all pregnancy blood tests done exactly 1 week ago and the beta HCG came back at 8241 for 5wks 6 days preg. I thought this was really good!

I was speaking to my obstetrician this am re breastfeeding my 15 month old babe while being pregnant and about an hour later he got his secretary to ring me back. In a very happy voice, with no consideration at all she stated "look, he anticipates that you will more than likely miscarry as you're HCG levels are about 4-5,000 to low, so keep breastfeeding and do whatever you feel like." I nearly fell off my chair as this was the last thing I thought she would be saying to me. Mind you, it was his secretary!!! I hadn't had the chance to tell him I had 1 day of spotting (light brown and very very light, but has ceased completely).

She has absolutely floored me and now I feel like I'm going mad... not sure what's right and what's not. I've had more blood tests today and have to wait until at least tomorrow for the results...am going crazy though. Just after getting over the shock of spotting (however minimal) and then this... I need someone to put my mind at ease. Unfortunetly we don't have the luxury of changing obstetricians and he's the only one down here!

I'd so appreciate any advice!!! :
    1st is 13 years old
    2nd M/C 1996
    3rd M/C 2002

4th is 5 years old
    5th is 4 years old
    6th is 2 years old

7th born April 8th, 2009 at 35 weeks

mumgem is offline Member

You're joking.

At 5 weeks my HCG levels were about 100. They only climbed to 400 by 5 1/2 weeks and I miscarried at 6 weeks.

So compared to me your HCG is looking pretty impressive
    It'll be tough but just wait it out and see what happens! Unfortunately, and I know it doesn't help a great deal, but if it's going to happen, you can't stop it so try and stay positive and I hope it all works out brilliantly for you.

Here is a pretty standard guide on average HCG levels too from birthtalks classes here.
    http://www.birth.com.au/class.asp?class=6620&page=8
    There's a table half way down the page, and you'll notice the difference between lowest and highest expected HCG in any given week is a very very long way apart!
    Last edited by mumgem; 30-01-2006 at 06:01 PM.
    Donna (Me) - 30 Warren - 30
    My Son - Tristan - 13

Liam Warren b. 15th July 2006
    Alyssa Paige b. 22nd October 2008
    My brave, beautiful Alyssa is healthy and well - http://alyssasjourney.wordpress.com/

Hollymama is offline Banned

Hi Aussie Mum

Firstly, what a terrible doctor for getting his receptionist to pass on that news

Your hcg levels are still within the 'normal' range. I have included a link for you http://www.bobrow.net/kimberly/birth/hcglevels.html For where you are in your pregnancy, they should be between 7,650 to 229,000, they are on the lower side, but they are in the range. With hcg levels, it doesn't matter if they are low, as long as they are doubling every 48-72 hours, this is what is important. Your doctor should have ordered another blood test for a couple of days time to ensure they are doubling, also, perhaps have an u/s to check your dates are correct as well.

Don't stress (easier said than done believe me I know having experienced 5 miscarriages myself), think positively and remember that your levels still are in the normal range.

Let us know how you go.

Melanie
    PS Good luck, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you

Hi,

I recently had a miscarriage and had VERY low HCG levels at 4-5 weeks (only 51). The only way that the doctor was able to tell me that I was going to have an "inevitable miscarriage" was because two days after the initial test I had a follow up test and the HCG levels had dropped to 47.

Make sure you go back and get another blood test done in two days time so that they can make sure your HCG levels are still rising. The secretary sounds like a moron! Your HCG levels are still in the thousands which means that they have been rising up until now and there is no reason why they should suddenly stop. So many women have HCG levels on the lower side of the scale and go on to have perfectly healthly pregnancies.

Take care,
    Eve
    Just me and my beautiful DD
    2 angels
    Formerly known as Rossfam

tracie-lee is offline Member

hi aussiemum,

the girls have all given you great advice - the important thing is that the HCGs continue to rise & at this early stage, should be tripling within the week.. Your OB & his secretary both need a lesson in bedside manner, fancy getting your receptionist to pass on that kind of news - thats aweful!!

perhaps also request that he tests your Progesterone levels, these should also continue to rise slowly, most importantly that they remain above 30.. They can fluctuate, but if they drop low, then it will likely indicate a miscarriage. the link Helga gave you will explain progesterone too.. like i said, ask for both HCG & Progesterone to be tested to give a clear picture as to what is going on.. having these blood tests every three days at this stage will give you a good idea.. then weekly blood tests until 12wks will continue to give you a clear idea as to how things are progressing..

all the best & hope all goes well..

tracie-lee
    xoxoxoxox
    Me 40
    DH 36
    ***Our Little Surprise ~~DS#1~~ Arrived Aug06***
    ***Extra Surprise~~DS#2~~ Arrived Jan08***

~3 Bright Stars back in the sky~

Kage is offline Member

Hi AussieMum4,

I am horrified that an OB and a secretary working for an OB could be so insensitive. And how he could just decide you are probably going to m/c from one bHCG result is beyond me. The lower side of normal is still NORMAL. And you could be a few days less pregnant than you think, if you ovulated late or if the embryo took a bit longer to implant and a couple of days make a huge difference to bHCG.

Try not to stress too much, if your not bleeding (that bit of spotting could have been an implantation bleed) then there is no reason not to believe your bub's is fine. Your result tomorrow night should show a nice rising bHCG and then I think you should tell that secretary exactly what an insensitve cow she is!
    Mummy to 2 beautiful girls

Talking

Hi to you all,

Thanks for your replies, these forums at least allow us to vent some frustrations with people like my obstretrician and his secretary!

Good news! My HCG on Monday was 42,474 (for 6wks 6 days preg) and so was doubling every 70.1 hrs! So much for their comments, eh? Anyway, my hubby and I decided we would be better off not returning to this Obstetrician (Melb hospital also advised us to do this) as he obviously cannot even read a lab report proficiently enough to not scare the absolute hell out of one of his patients!

All is well otherwise apart from LOTS and LOTS of 'all day sickness'. I hope you are all keeping well and good luck everyone!
    1st is 13 years old
    2nd M/C 1996
    3rd M/C 2002

4th is 5 years old
    5th is 4 years old
    6th is 2 years old

tracie-lee is offline Member

hi aussiemum!

thats great news!!

yes definately sack the OB & his stupid secretary
    maybe they rang the wrong person?

all the best for your pg, hope its trouble free

tracie-lee
    Me 40
    DH 36
    ***Our Little Surprise ~~DS#1~~ Arrived Aug06***
    ***Extra Surprise~~DS#2~~ Arrived Jan08***

~3 Bright Stars back in the sky~

Kage is offline Member

Thats fantasitc news aussiemum!!

Enjoy that sickness cause you know it means your PREGNANT!!

Hope the rest of your pregnancy is trouble free and don't go any where near that doc ever again!!!
    Mummy to 2 beautiful girls

Question

Hi again everyone!

Please don't think I'm neaurotic but are these levels O.K?

at 5wks 6days 8241;
    at 6wks 6days 42474, and last one
    at 7wks 2 days 60484.

As everything went like it did with ob & his wife, I now don't have a dr to get advice from. Could someone please help me here!??? I know it doubled within 70.1 hrs 1st bl test, but last result is slower even though it was taken only 60hrs after 2nd test. Is this something I should be worrying about? The last week had just been so worrying I keep expecting to have to worst happen and I just don't wan't to continue like that! We are booked in for an ultrasound, but that's not for another 7 days! I know we fit withing the HUGE range of 'normals' that they have for levels, but doesn't the doubling thing mean more?

Would appreciate any advice you all have!
    1st is 13 years old
    2nd M/C 1996
    3rd M/C 2002

4th is 5 years old
    5th is 4 years old
    6th is 2 years old

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast