•  

35 - 36 week

•  

37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

View Poll Results: Is your 7-12yo in a booster seat?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have my 7-9yo in a booster

8 33.33%
  • Yes, I have my 10-12yo in a booster

0 0%
  • No, my 7-9yo is not in a booster

10 41.67%
  • No, my 10-12yo is not in a booster

8 33.33%
  • Other, as always

1 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kath is offline Member

Default Is your 7-12yo still in a booster seat?

Just curious after my other thread which revealed it's recommended a child sit's in a booster until approx 12yo, depending on height.

Now because a child up until 7yo is legally required to be in a booster seat, I'm not really referring to them, coz they should all be in one anyway .
    But what about over 7yo? Does anyone actually still have their 7yo+ in a booster?
    I know I do, (he's 7) but I've never seen anyone else IRL with their 7yo+ in a booster.

I'm going to add a poll for anonimity (sp?), and I'd only like people that actually have 7-12yo's to answer please, as sometimes what we plan to do and what we actually do turn out different.
    ~Just me now: 29~
    ~My big boy: 8~
    ~My princess: 6~
    ~My baby: 4~

*Please do not reproduce for Facebook*

suziz3 is offline Member

I have 4 kids so if I have all 4 with me then Mr 7yr old sits in the front seat and if say my ds who is in a booster isn't in the car then ds will get in the back seat and sit in the booster...
    Suzie

DS#1 8yrs
    DS#2 5yrs
    DD#1 3yrs
    DS#3 16 months
    thats 4 kids and we are done!

kaznkidz is offline Member

Yep, she will be 8 in August and i have one that will fit her for a long time so she will damn well use it :P

The amount of kids i see sitting in the front seat with no booster seat with the whole back seat of the car empty at school pick up time astounds me, its just stupid!

The cops would end up with a decent amount of tickets given out if they came at pick up time!

bellearina is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaznkidz View Post
    Yep, she will be 8 in August and i have one that will fit her for a long time so she will damn well use it :P

The amount of kids i see sitting in the front seat with no booster seat with the whole back seat of the car empty at school pick up time astounds me, its just stupid!

The cops would end up with a decent amount of tickets given out if they came at pick up time!
    Its not illegal for children 8 and over to sit in the front seat although recommended they sit in back if space as its safer..
    When you have children yourself, you begin to understand how much you owe your parents.

ME 29, MY BETTER HALF 27, MY BEAUTIFUL ASPIE BOY 9, MY LITTLE BOOF 6, AND MY PRINCESS 3

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=520856827

BLOG-http://bellearina.blogspot.com/

teamblue is offline Member

Nope my older child has not used a booster for many many years, and considering he is pretty much the same height as me if he needs to be in one I should be too! LOL
    Men men men men, yep thats all I live with! Even the budgie is a boy.

Histoire is offline Member

Not voting as I don't have a child old enough for a booster (4.25yrs and still in inbuilt 5pt harness) but I do plan on keeping my children in boosters until 145cm. For DS1 that will probably be about 12yrs (as he is a shortie like me) for DS2 it will probably be about 10yrs (takes after 6ft DH).

That is the reason why HEIGHT is very important when considering need/no need for boosters. I was shown around the local primary school..... by a 6ft 6th grader...... I was looking up at him the whole time.... most 10yo are taller then me as I am only 150cm

My children will have to pass the 5 step test as outlined below:
    Boosters Are For Big Kids

SEAT BELTS-when can I start using the seat belt alone for my child?

According to Dr Sam Tormey “The rear seat of the average family car is too deep for almost half of adult women to sit upright and comfortably bend their knees over the edge of the seat, and the seatbelt in the rear seat is unsafe for any person less than 145cm tall. Children do not reach this height until around 11 years old.” (Syndey’s Child Crash Course August 2008. pg. 33).

what is the 5 step test?
    The “5 Step Test” allows you to check if your child is big enough to use the seat belt alone. There is no “magic” age for this and it is in no way deemed an achievement.

There are 5 steps your child will need to pass to use the seat belt alone they are
    as follows:
    1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
    2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
    3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
    4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
    5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection. Your child will be more comfortable, too! This test will need to be performed in each car that your child travels in for best
    results.

AJ-
    AJ- is offline Member

My 7.5 yr old and 9.5 yr olds are both still in boosters. They are both tall (over the 95 percentile for height) and skinny so under the seat weight limits. I've checked them against the 5 step check and they both need to stay in boosters.

My DD's have long legs and they still don't bend comfortably at the edge of the seat with their back and bottom against the back of the seat.....this means that the seat belt rides up over their abdomen. Also, the seat belt rubs on their necks. They will stay in booster until about 11-12 yrs judging on their torso height and weight at present.

Meredy is offline Member

does this mean those half booster ones? I keep hearing that they are going out is that right? do I need to get a new booster? ds is 7, 8 in may and I think about 130cm will have to do the check tomorrow but i doubt he can bend his knees preoperly lol
    Meredy
    wifey to Dh
    mama to
    DS 8yrs old
    DD born 14.03.2010

Histoire is offline Member

Half boosters have been written out of the new 2010 Aust Std for child restraints BUT they does not make them illegal to use.

They are not recommended for use as they do not provide any side impact protection for a child plus a child's head when seated in a half booster should not be above the back of the seat/headrest (ie. if your child's eyes are level with the top back of the rear seat/headrest) you can't use a half booster (as their head would be subject to whiplash in an accident).

red-back is offline Member

My 7.5 year old DS#1 is still in a booster seat. I know of 1 other friends who's son of the same age is also in a booster seat.

He sometimes asks why he is still in a seat and no one else of his age is when doing the school runs..... I just remind how much safer it is for him in the car.

I recently purchased a new booster for DS#2, and had it fitted at our local child safe rep. I discussed DS#1's situation. He is 26 kgs and around the 132cm and the guy stated/reminded me that technically he had reached the weight limit for his booster seat. We took the seat out and had him sit just on the back seat........................no words needed to be exchanged between the guy and myself.

He stated that he needed to provide me with the guidelines for the seat.............but it was clearly obvious that putting him straight on the seat was for more potentially dangerous.

Both the boys are in boosters with lap sash belts and anti sub clips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast