37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

FreshMum is offline Member

Default Extra crease on baby's leg??

Hello,
    MY daughter whos just under 4 months has 2 creases on right leg and 3 on the left. Someone told me this could indicate a problem and should check it out. I asked the community midwife and she said its fine but i still worry about it and dont know if i should take it further and get an scan or something. Does your baby have something similar to this? have you done something about it?
    Thanks

MeNThem is offline Member

Honestly - I wouldn't have ever looked to count how many creases were there... I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Babies (just like adults) put on weight in different places and use it up, add to it etc ALL the time... so what you are observing now probably won't be there in another few days/weeks/months.

If it really is bothering you, ask your GP at your next visit, or ask a midwife at a pharmacy etc... get a 2nd opinion... I cannot imagine why having more fat stored hence more creases would mean there was something wrong

K
    Me - 31, DH - 33, Twins - K and A 11/9/2006 (34w 1d)...and...*drumroll* L arrived via successful VBAC, 15th Oct '12
    ~~19 April 2011 @ ~9.5 weeks... ectopic pregnancy removed after major complications~~
    *Please do not reproduce on FB*

Smurfette is offline Member

I think the problem with creases is when they don't match up on each leg, kwim? Like, they're a bit uneven, one is higher/lower than the other. I think that is an indicator of hip dysplasia so they recommend getting further checks (ie, ultrasound etc). I'm not sure whether an extra crease on one leg means the same thing though. If you're worried, speak to your GP or another ECHN.
    I swam and I swam, and I damn well made it!

Scruffy is offline Member

Uneven creases in the thigh are a "soft marker" for Developmental Hip Dysplasia - basically, that means that most babies with DDH have uneven hip creases, but not all babies with uneven hip creases have DDH. Make sense?

The test usually used to detect DDH is the "hip click" test they do to young babies at birth, and at their check ups in the first few months. If your baby hasn't had any problems detected, like a hip click, then the uneven hip creases are probably just a natural oddity and nothing to be worried about.

BUT, if you are concerned, take bub to the doctor and get her checked out properly. The doctor may decide to get an ultrasound or x-ray of the hips just to be sure, but in the majority of cases, it's nothing.
    The Monkey Princess Nov 2007
    Read her story here
    Beanie Bub making an appearance in June 2011. Tick Tock
    Avatar: The Monkey Princess Sep 09
    This post reflects my personal opinion. If in doubt, talk to your friendly local health professional

Kaz&Co is offline Member

Yeah - I think Smurfs right. I *think* its actually when the creases don't line up? Check with your GP if your worried!

EDIT - What Scruffy said!!!
    Karen
    Cooper Ethan - 4th October 2007
    Cooper's Birth Story

Gabrielle Emmerson - 17th August 2009
    Gabrielle's Birth Story

1 in 9 women in Australia are diagnosed with Breast Cancer...
    Be alert to what's normal for you & check your breasts regularly!!!!

Scruffy is offline Member

"Uneven hip creases" means just that - any kind of hip creasing pattern that's not symmetrical.

The Monkey Princess has 3 creases on the left and only 2 on the right...
    The Monkey Princess Nov 2007
    Read her story here
    Beanie Bub making an appearance in June 2011. Tick Tock
    Avatar: The Monkey Princess Sep 09
    This post reflects my personal opinion. If in doubt, talk to your friendly local health professional