37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    charli76 is offline Member

Default Can you have poor quality milk?

I was talking to a friend that referred to his wife as having poor quality milk which surprised me for a number of reasons one being if my husband said that about me I'd knock his head off

Anyway, it got me to thinking. I know you can have an imbalance of foremilk/hindmilk if bubs doesn't feed for long enough and I know that there is discussion about whether or not food in your diet can cause bubs to be unsettled from your breastmilk.

But can you really have poor quality? Surely as long as you have a good/decent supply quality isn't an issue? I thought you couldn't but maybe I was wrong. I don't want to say anything to them but now I'm curious.
    Me 35 ~ DH 33
    DS Mr Know it All
    DD Little Ms Scream a lot!

*Please do not reproduce for FB*

I didn't think you could either.........I thought the only thing could be poor supply if anything......
    Mummy Daddy
    Harrison Nathan
    4yrs and 6mths
    born 22/3/07, 3.36kg, 51cm HC 36cm, Spina Bifida

Annabelle Grace Mary
    2yrs 2mths
    born 21/7/09, 3.11kg, 50cm HC 32cm, Soft and Hard Cleft Palate and PRS
    Angel baby gone to heaven at 10weeks 10th August 2007

rufusdoofus is offline Member

I don't think you can, because your body puts the best of what you have to offer into your BM...so I could be wrong, but I think you would have to be pretty malnourished yourself to have "poor quality" milk. I think your supply would drop (if you were starving for eg) rather that the quality diminish but the volume of milk stay the same.

I think it's an idea that certain health professionals use to bandy amount to undermine women's confidence...that's JMO though.

A MACH nurse told me that the nutritional quality of BM drops over time, when she was trying to convine me to give my then 8 month old DD 3-4 BFs a day instead of the 10 she was getting The nutritional requirements of babies/toddlers change as they get older, but that's not the same thing. They may need more than breastmilk, but it doesn't mean the breastmilk itself has anything wrong with it.
    [CENTER]Me - 34 DH - 37
    DD - born 17 September 2008
    DS born 30 August 2010

I was told that by a paediatrician who was trying to coerce me into formula feeding because my baby was smaller than the blue book charts and wasnt putting on a minimum of 400g a week pretty high target for a breastfeeding mum!

i told her to GGF, she reported me to DOCS, I told DOCS that she was a bully and full of it, they left me alone and I continued to BF and never gave DD a drop of formula - she loves the boob so much that 2.5 years later she wont get off the darn things!!! And she is completely healthy, intelligent, of average weight and height, everything a 2.5 year old should be.

So no, I don't believe there is such a thing as "poor quality milk" but maybe some person has told that to them and the husband just thinks its true, because why would you question someone who is supposed to know more about these things than you - right?

besides, those starving mums in Ethiopia can still BFeed - the human body makes sure the milk is the best it can be and steals whatever resources from the mother to make sure that baby is getting all it needs. Thats what I have learned from all my research after being told I had "poor quality milk" anyway.

*rant over *

rufus - looks like we agree!

Capalabelle Guest

Erm, that would be an emphatic NO! There is no such thing as 'bad' breastmilk

It's statements like the one you refer to that guilted my mum into putting me onto formula after 1 month - sadly it was my nan that told her the milk was 'too thin and watery' .. sorry Nan, but human breastmilk is a LITTLE different to bovine milk! (she was a dairy farmer).

Perhaps direct your friend to the ABA website to do some reading and to become better informed .. poor quality milk indeed!

charli76 is offline Member

See that's the thing, my fear is the MCH has guilted her into doing one bottle of formula a day because they told her the milk quality wasn't good enough and he was hungry. Now if he was hungry from a lack of supply I could understand but she has enough to express bottles for him.

Anyway it doesn't matter, that is there choice to comp feed and they have to do what they feel is best, he is a bad sleeper and if it helps them it was worth a shot. I was just curious as to what others thought.
    Me 35 ~ DH 33
    DS Mr Know it All
    DD Little Ms Scream a lot!

*Please do not reproduce for FB*

Renee1 is offline Member

GRRR i cant believe people are still getting told this by 'professionals' where the hell do these people get their accreditation's?? i would direct your friend to the ABA fi she does not want to comp feed.

Azurepurplecat- i cnat believe they reported you to docs for breastfeeding your child! thats rediculous! the worst bit i guess is docs investigated...i'm glad they dismissed it thats just rediculous wel dont for continuing to b/f as that must have been very daunting.

NO NO NO NO not a chance. Did I say NO???
    Me - the Twi-nerdDH - the computer geek 33

DS1 5
    DD 4 our breastfeeding journey ended after 22 months

DS2 2 >>birth story<< the boobie bandit at 2 1/2

Our family is perfect and complete

Jaybe is offline Member

Azure - As you may know, same thing happened to me... my DD was underweight according to charts, was fully b/f and the GP threatened to report me for failure to thrive, saying my milk wasnt nutritious. Unlike you though I freaked and gave her formula and combined with a few other things that was the downward spiral of our b/f relationship. At 18mths, and with a RAVENOUS appetite DD is still "underweight" on the charts. She is obviously just a little kid and not going to be big like the charts think she should be! So im with you on the ranting!

Anyway back to OT, a study was done recently that showed mothers in severly deprived african nations had pretty well almost the same "nutritional quality" of their well to do London counterparts, despite having an incredibly poor diet. Your body really does put all your goodness into the milk for baby

It is sooo sad and disappointing that medical professionals (who should know better) are so unsupportive of the most natural, nutrionally sound way of feeding children. I dont mean in the case of people with low supply etc, just those that obviously seem to be feeding fine and are bullied into using formula for no real good reason.
    ME, DH + 4 = our family
    Our final babe joined us at home June 2010

~There is a secret in our culture - its not that birth is not painful, its that women are strong - Laura Stavoe Harm~

*Please do not post my threads on FB, thank you!*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast