•  

37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

xjessicax is offline Member

Default Honey with a 13 month old

Hi guys, jsut wondering whether feeding my 13 month old bub honey and Mustard chicken would be a problem?

Im halfway through cooking it when I realised he hasn't had Honey before. I'd assume the ammount in the marinade would be okay?

I know you arent meant to give honey to them under 12 months just wanted a few opinions
    Monkey is 6
    Monster is 5
    Munchkin - May 16 2012

Counting my Blessings

I didn't even know you weren't supposed to give them honey under 12 months

It would be a really minimal amount in it anyway wouldn't it?...........so what's this thing with honey?

alegna is offline Member
    Brisbane, South, In a house with my boys!

Hey there!

Ryan has been having honey on his wheatbix in the mornings now for a couple of months no problems.

I guess it would depend on if it was real honey or just a flavouring that is the packet mix?!?!

When I introduce new foods I like to give them in the mornings so I can watch for any reactions so I guess my only problem would be if he had a reaction it would be during the night and you wouldn't be able to watch as closely for any problems he might have.

But don't stress too much about it!! Have fun with the new flavours!
    (`'(`'(`' Angela - 27 ')')')

.:**:.MY BOYS::.:**:.
    DH :: Scott - 31
    DS :: Lachlan Thomas - 04.03.03 :: c-section ~ DS :: Ryan Alexander - 29.09.05 :: c-section
    ~ BOY cat :: Tiga

miamoo is offline Member

Honey can but it's VERY VERY rare contain spores of Clostridium Botulinum, which can cause food posioning. Over 12 months it's ok and the reason I think is that the stomach contains enough acid by then to destroy the spore, which can survive cooking. At least that is the reason adults are not at risk.

My personal view is that the most damaging side of honey is the sugar content and effect on blood sugar levels and teeth if given straight to them. But not an issue if honey is used in small amounts in cooking. I too am a HUGE fan of honey & mustard chicken, and Max has that regularly. In hindsight I can tell you Max had that type of chicken when he started liking meat around 11 months or so...but that is close enough to 12 months. You gotta bend the rules a little.

amanda_090 is offline Member

i heard that honey was a no no at that age in case their allergic to bees, it can come out when they eat honey.
    how much do they get if its cooked though?
    myself 25
    DS #1 age 6
    DS #2 age 4 and a half
    DS #3 age 2

xjessicax is offline Member

Pav as mia stated it contains botchula spores. Which can potentially be very dangerous to the little blighters.

I guess when I realised it was honey mustard I was cooking I hit panick even though I do know it should be kay.. Bah..

I feel a lot better about it now

He hasnt reacted so far and thoroughly enjoyed the new taste..

Mia it was home made. about a table spoon of honey a few teaspoons of mustard seeds a a bit of cream...

Im such a dag.

But thank you for your replies!!
    Monkey is 6
    Monster is 5
    Munchkin - May 16 2012

Counting my Blessings

Marlaina is offline Member

Here's a quote from Breast Bottle Bowl by Anne Hillis & Penelope Stone:

"Honey is the sweet syrup made by bees from the nectar of flowers. It contains about 76% sugars (glucose and fructose) and 20% water. Honey is often used as a sugar substitute on the assumption that it contains more nutrients. While this is true, you would have to eat about 11.2kg to get your requirements for calcium, 4kg for iron and 0.5kg for zinc! Honey, like all sugars, can cause tooth decay. Honey purchased from the supermarket is not recommended for babies under one year. Although it is heated, the level of heating is insufficient to kill clostridium botulinum spores which can cause food poisoning. Botulism in babies can cause constipation, breathing problems, paralysis and even death.
    Government food regulations allow the addition of sterilised honey to commercial baby foods. Sterilisation is done at a higher temperature and will destroy the clostridium botulinum spores."

Sorry that doesn't answer your question Jess, but I thought it contained some interesting facts that some of other posters might benefit from. So really it seems like honey is more of a danger not due to possible allergic reaction (nowhere mentioned in this book) but the possibility of poisoning. It does say a few times babies under one year, so technically Aidan should be alright. Thanks for doing this thread, I have been meaning to look up this info for a while, I've been wanting to make a honey soy something for my kids, now I can , but unfortunately no guarantee they'll like it . A while ago I made a packet mix chicken and vegetable honey mustard thing, we loved it, kids hated it! When are they going to develop some of our tastes?? I'm sick of cooking to two menus!!

Good luck with Aidan
    M