37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MsBoop is offline Member

Default Foster Clarkes Custard Powder

So I bought some custard powder when shopping the other day as I thought i might try and make my own for DD - save some $$.

So I made some, but obviously she wont eat it all at once so my question is, does anyone know how is the best way to store it and reheat and can it be frozen and for how long (for all of the above)?

it has no storage info on the packet anywhere and i dont want to leave it in the fridge for a day too long and she gets sick or something.....
    My mother always taught me, "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all"

MsBoop is offline Member

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me on this one? best ways to store custard, fridge or freezer? best ways to defrost safely, can it be eaten cold from the fridge? anyone?
    My mother always taught me, "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all"

you can get fosters premade custard in a package which is available either off the shelf at the supermarket or in the fridges.

perhaps go off that? i knwo both of those can be kept in the fridge, usually for about a week or so at least i htink...

but don;t quote me. it's just a thought.
    ME - 27 DH - 29
    TTC#1 Cycle 11 - BFP 25.4.2010 - Squirts EDD1.1.2011
    Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone
    Happily Married for 26 months!

DS1 ~ Kyan Charles born 14.1.11

JanelleC is offline Member

I would store in the fridge for a few days. Not sure about the freezer though I asume it would be fine and just defrost in the fridge. Maybe put them in separate bag, containers, or freeze in ice cubes and put in bags later. If your making any I usually tend to half the quantities or even quarter (so it doesn't make as much but enough to last that night and maybe the next night). You can use the UHT stuff but just check the sugar content and if there is any added sugar.
    Me - 1981 Him - 1978
    Alison - 26/11/2006 PJ - 22/06/2008
    SUGAR FREE - 12/10/2010
    Weight Loss Start - 85 Weight Loss Current - 73.3

joji is offline Member

I'd keep it in the fridge - I have never frozen custard, I think it would go all icy? Should be fine in the fridge for a week, although with custard made from powder I think it tends to go runny after a couple of days anyway, which makes it harder to feed to a bub.

I don't ever add sugar to my custards, not even for adults, but definitely not for DD. Why not try making it from scratch with egg yolks? It's much tastier than the packet mix stuff IMO!
    Me & DP
    We are so very blessed to have
    ... our beautiful IVF miracle DD
    ... and our gorgeous IVF miracle DS

...and we remember always the angel babies we held in our hearts but not our arms

My3Miracles is offline Member

Or try the Heinz organic baby custard powder... thats what we used for DS1 and we just made up how much we needed using his formula... I will be doing the same thing for DS2 when he reaches the right age
    DS1 - May 2008
    DS2 - July 2010
    DS3 - June 2013

My world is full of cars, trucks, dirt and muck - Love my 3 little men

MsBoop is offline Member

Thanks girls

Quote Originally Posted by joji View Post
    I'd keep it in the fridge - I have never frozen custard, I think it would go all icy? Should be fine in the fridge for a week, although with custard made from powder I think it tends to go runny after a couple of days anyway, which makes it harder to feed to a bub.

I don't ever add sugar to my custards, not even for adults, but definitely not for DD. Why not try making it from scratch with egg yolks? It's much tastier than the packet mix stuff IMO!
    it hasnt actually gone runny its gone more solid....like the type of consistancy you'd find in a custard tart - i wasnt sure if this was good or bad....

Hrm making it from scratch could be fun...i might try and google an easy recipe

thanks again
    Last edited by MsBoop; 02-12-2010 at 06:18 PM.

JanelleC is offline Member

Yes after the custard has gone cold it will tend to "set", so that's compeltely normal. I tend to make it before hand and then put it in the fridge, but use less custard powder so it sets more in the fridge. I second the traditional custard, it's so much yummier, and add a dash of vanilla essence it will actually sweeten it rather then sugar. Traditional custard is the same, it will thicken once cooled.
    Me - 1981 Him - 1978
    Alison - 26/11/2006 PJ - 22/06/2008
    SUGAR FREE - 12/10/2010
    Weight Loss Start - 85 Weight Loss Current - 73.3

Amaranthine is offline Member

I think you would treat it the same as anything with milk in it. I dont think the custard powder would pose any issues at all.
    ♂♀ + ♂
    'Nugget' - 7/7/11 - 9lb 8oz

~manda~ is offline Member

I make an egg yolk custard for DD rather than using any packet mixes. The Foster Clarkes has alot of flavouring, colourings and sugars in it. Its easy as to make, I can post the recipe if you like.
    Me DH DD (29/01/2010)

Formerly known as MandaMoo....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast