•  

37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    EllieK is offline Member

Default Can you be a SAHM with a family income of $70 000?

Ok this question seems crazy because I know there must be a lot of other families out there with SAHM's/SAHD's where the main income earner earns less than this. I think 70 000 is a pretty good income so why does it seem so hard to make it work?

We have been thinking more and more that I don't really want to have to go back to work when DS is 1 year old, DP would like to wait until he is at least 18 months but really we would both love it if I did not have to go back to work until he is at school.

DP's income is $70 000 (it just went up). Our car is salary packaged through her work and she has a HECS debt so her take home pay is $1500 a fortnight. Our mortgage is $1000 a fortnight (2 bedroom unit in Sydney). Can it be done?
    Me 27
    DP 28
    m/c Oct 2007 @ 9.5 weeks baby "S". Always remembered and loved
    Little JoJo born Sept 08 The love of my life!
    Birth storyhttp://www.birth.com.au/forum/showth...=1#post1249307

Smurfette is offline Member

So you'd be living on $250 a week, after rent? With some budgeting, I'm sure it can be done, but my guess is it would tight. Would you received anything from Centrelink?
    I swam and I swam, and I damn well made it!

shannie is offline Member

Of course it can .

Also if your dp is earning $70,000 a year you are also entitled to family tax benefit and most likely a small amount of rent assisant . So you really have more then $500 a fortnight to live off .
    We do it and we have 3 kids . Quiet happily we dont have money to burn but we can afford everything we need and some of the stuff we want .
    Noah Mr everywhere 25th of January 2008
    Ethan the Cookie Monster Born 8th September 2005
    Jake my big boy 21st December 1998
    DH thinks he is a stud

A Baby Girl coming Spring 2012

I think if you REALLY want something, it can be done.....you essentially have $250 a week after paying your mortgage (plus what you might get from Centrelink - check it out!!) to pay for

Essentials:
    *food
    *electricity
    *nappies (if you use disposables...you could always become a clothie if you're not already )
    *fuel (could easily be cut back!!) and car costs (since you already have a car...otherwise I would say maybe think of alternate ways of getting places)

Might not seem like much but essentially, it is all you REALLY need

Extras:
    *Phone and Internet
    *Health Insurance (some people see this as a necessity but it's not necessarily)
    *Home and Contents Insurance (again, I wouldn't risk NOT having it, but hey - lots of people do!)

I am sure there are more but my head is not very clear at the moment (I am sick...)

But what I would do is go through everything you are spending ATM (break it into categories and costs, probably fortnightly is easiest for you), take out any 'luxury' items or 'non-essentials' and see what it adds up to. Oh and check out Centrelink as you wouldn't be HIE I don't think, on $70K so you should be able to get some kind of payment...

HTH a little...
    Last edited by livelaughlove; 06-03-2009 at 04:10 PM.
    Me 25 DH 25
    "Princess" - April 2008
    "Little Man" - May 2010

Loubell is offline Member

I would definitely check out centrelink first before deciding. $250 while doable would leave you with barely anything and after awhile you could become resentful at having no money to do anything or buy extra luxury items.
    ~Aimee~
    Kaelyn & Mackenzie 9/7/05
    Ryder 22/9/06
    Chase 5/6/09

Suzanne is offline Member

Personally I couldn't do it - check how much more the centrelink support would get you. I'd be needing something closer to $350 but we're all different and our ideas of what's necessary are also different.
    Me = 36
    DH = 37
    #1 born 7 July 2006
    # 2 is currently cooking and is due early August
    Doggies x 1.

lozzaaa is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by shannie View Post
    Of course it can .

Also if your dp is earning $70,000 a year you are also entitled to family tax benefit and most likely a small amount of rent assisant .
    I don't think you get rent assistance with a mortgage???

Personally, I would say no. I wouldn't like to live on that budget. It could be done but you will have to make sacrifices. DF earns quite good money (we're in Sydney too) and we own a nice house in a very good area close to the city. I used to hate it when we were living from pay packet to pay packet - it's merely existing. We like our lifestyle so much that I chose to go back to work 2 days a week...basically because my paid maternity leave ended (yes, I am one of the lucky ones to get paid maternity leave.) I had 28 weeks at half pay which was good. But found that we would have struggled to maintain our lifestyle if I didn't go back to work and I actually enjoy being back at work - it's only 2 days.

If you really want to stay at home then I'm sure it is possible but it might be difficult. It sounds like you really want to stay home with your baby - good luck, I hope it all works out for you!
    Last edited by lozzaaa; 06-03-2009 at 06:17 PM.

yes!!! cntact Centrelink though as I think you'd get prob $100 ish a fn from them for Fam Assist
    Me - the Twi-nerdDH - the computer geek 33

DS1 5
    DD 4 our breastfeeding journey ended after 22 months

DS2 2 >>birth story<< the boobie bandit at 2 1/2

Our family is perfect and complete

Quote Originally Posted by lozzaaa View Post

I wouldn't like to live on that budget. It could be done but you will have to make sacrifices.
    I feel the same. You MIGHT be able to, but I wouldn't want to. It would be SUCH a change in lifestyle for us, and one that, selfish as it may seem, I wouldn't be willing to do (and don't think i COULD do). Our grocery budget is $175/wk!!!! And you don't want to know what all our bills add up to each week, considering we have all the 'extras' - life insurance, austar, broadband, private health, etc...

And we have lived week to week before...I wouldn't want to go back there...
    Me 25 DH 25
    "Princess" - April 2008
    "Little Man" - May 2010

abax83 is offline Member

I do not think that I could live off that. I am a SAHM too DP earns 58,000 has a lease so his take home pay is not huge. We don't have a mortgage and live in a DHA house so it is reduced rent. It leaves us about $600 to live off. I have been stressing about it but thinking about it I think we will be fine.
    **please do not reproduce for FaceBook**
    Me A 29 Him B 40
    Married 11th June 2011
    DS 1 My Big 4 Year Old
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?....4266451883..1
    http://dwdf.daisypath.com/Sdcep11.png

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast