35 - 36 week

•  

37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

gorgeous is offline Member

Default How long does it take to recover from food poisoning?

I need some advice for myself. Nearly 2 weeks ago now I contracted food poisoning. I was really sick for about 24 hours - not vomiting, but unable to take in any food or drink, diarrhoea, fever and pretty much unable to get out of bed. The following few days I felt a little better, but I got extremely dehydrated. I eventually remedied that with lots of hydralyte and started feeling better.

About a week after the food poisoning, I thought I was much better, but the next day - bam, back to square 1 (well, not the first 24hrs) and ever since I just can't seem to get better.

Here are my symptoms:
    - persistent diarrhoea
    - nausea during the first half of the day (I wake up around 4.30am dizzy and nauseous and have to eat a few biscuits just so I don't throw up)
    - lack of energy
    - heartburn during the second half of the day

Here's what I've tried:
    - a glass of hydralyte first thing in the morning to counteract the fluid loss, as well as lots of water and herbal tea throughout the day
    - eating small frequent snacks, mostly carbs
    - probiotics
    - no dairy (I know that gastro can cause temporary lactose intolerance)

What I want to know is those of you who've suffered food poisoning, how long did the symptoms persist and how long did it take you to recover? I know I should get myself off to the doctor, but I won't have time until the weekend, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
    DS#1 23/6/07 - birth story
    DD & DS#2 29/7/10 - birth story

rowena is offline Member

Hi gorgeous (nice name!)

I don’t know the difference between food poisoning and diarrhoea but I have had similar symptoms as you described before. I never saw a doctor about it and normally recovered within a day. My mom taught me some things to deal with it which haver been very effective so it never bothered me too much.

So here’s what I would do:

o Of course keep on taking in as much fluid as possible. My mom used to tell me to drink salty water and sugar water (well water with salt in it and water with sugar in it). It’s like the drips you get in the hospital, which gives you the basic needs for your body when you can’t take in anything.
    o Try not to eat anything solid/hard, like biscuits, carrots because they’re hard to digest. You tummy is very upset now so it needs something soft and easy to digest.
    o So I would eat noodle soups, warm and soft and easy to digest. Add a little bit of salt to taste. I may also make some congee - just very well boiled rice in water, which makes it like syrup. These things will give you energy to recover. (Edit to add: by saying noodles I mean the plain white asian noodles which you may get from supermarkets or asian shops, not the instant noodles which are fried!)
    o Try not to eat anything cold. Your tummy likes warm now.
    o Nothing oily please.
    o Once you start feeling a lot better, try to eat normal healthy food preferably homemade and fresh coz that’ll give you more energy to recover quickly.

I hope you feel better soon!

Rowena
    Last edited by rowena; 04-03-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add more informaion
    Me: 37
    DH: 42
    DD1: born on Boxing Day 2006
    DD2: born on 20.9.2010
    Avatar: DD being the flower girl at her cousin Ben's wedding!
    My sewing blog: http://sewlovesew.blogspot.com/
    My pubic symphysis blog: http://pubicsymphysis.blogspot.com/