37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

elizm is offline Member

Default Active Bub getting tangled up?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this one.

My DH a couple of days ago told me that he is very worried that our bub is so active. Bob actually woke him up (but not me lol) the other night by kicking at his arm which was over my belly at the time.

DH is worried that bub will get tangled up and end up with the cord around his/her neck. I was actually quite shocked when he said it, because it isn't something that had occurred to me at all. I told him that I would be more worried about it if bub wasn't so active, but I guess that doesn't help him because he can't really tell what the movements are like for me.

Not really sure what I am asking here but I guess I'm wondering what other people think about the likelihood of something like that happening, or else how to reassure DH about it.
    Elizabeth

Aidan James arrived 26 July, 2005
    10 days early, 5lb 14oz

carlar is offline Member

Default not to worry...

Hi Elizabeth,
    I guess that's something all mums of active bubs have worried about at some stage - I know it crossed my mind. What my midwife told me is that the vernix that bubs is covered in works as such a lubricant that babies slide in and out and around the cord all the time - usu. with absolutely no fear of getting tangled up. I heard one story where the baby came out perfectly healthy but there was actually a loose knot in the cord due to all the moving around!! but all was fine. My DD came out a month ago with the cord loosely around her neck - but nothing for the middy to worry about, she just gently removed it once she was out - it only became entangled around her neck/body on the way out - she would have been fine in utero (plus i had a really really long cord so even more to get caught up in)... tell DH that your little one will be fine - active is good!!!

All the best - good luck with it all.
    Carla
    Me: 31
    DH: 32
    Charlotte born 20/04/05

#2 EDD 24/12/06

shellfowler Guest

Hi Elizabeth!
    I have a REALLY active bub as well although in the last few weeks his movements have died down a lot because I think he is out of room so his legs and arms dont seem to be able to get the same wind up to really slug me IYKWIM!
    I am very sure that the same will happen to you in just a few weeks since you are just a few weeks behind me.
    This was the same for all the girls in the July group so I think it is very common for Bubs to get really active for a few weeks. I remember it scared many of us! lol.

I dont think there would be any harm to the baby otherwise they wouldnt do it! Plus if they get themselves into a tangle I am sure they can get themselves back out!

Just enjoy it I say, it doesnt last right til the end. Just one of those fun things we get to experience!

Shell

I've got an active one too and I feel like my insides are bruised! Often at night when DH is cuddling me the baby will kick him! I'm hoping bubs will get sick of having no room to be active and come early. (maybe wishful thinking!!!)
    I never thought about the cord round the neck though. DS wasn't very active and the cord was around his neck loosely so I guess its a matter of luck??

KatieC is offline Banned

Elijah used to practice Aerobics Oz Style in utero (he hasn't changed since he came out either!) and he was fine, his cord was tightly round his neck when born, but no harm came of it

Also, I have no idea if his cord being tightly round his neck was related to his activity.... all babies move around in utero, so I suppose if it WAS an issue, it could happen to any baby, not just an active one. I believe it is very common for the cord to be around the neck at birth, in more cases than not, though am not positive on this.

Cheers,
    Katie

kirsty13 is offline Member
    Currently Western Suburbs whilst rebuilding in Kinglake

I remember watching my 20 week ultrasound and Myles was playing with his umbilical cord between his legs! It is better that your baby is so active - my theory is active in womb active outside womb too I was worried at first but the dr just said they play with it like a toy in their because they are bored with nothing else to do!
    Don't worry too much about the cord been wrapped around the head - I heard that a large number of babies are born with the cord around the head and in a huge percentage of the births it just slips off!
    ME: Kirsten 27
    DH: Heath 28
    DS: Myles 5 diagnosed with autism
    DS: Angus 1
    DS: Owen - joined our family early August 2010

DOG: Toby

Vanessa is offline Member

Hi Elizabeth

I was worried about this when pregnant with Eliza, and my obstetrician eased my worries by reminding me that the cord wrapped around bub's neck doesn't affect their ability to intake oxygen etc (I had this silly notion that she might be strangled by the cord!! )

Problems only arise if the umbilical cord itself is poor quality (so to speak), and is weak and thin. If this happens, any knotting or tightening of the cord can affect the transmission of oxygen etc to the baby.

The main way to assess cord health is from looking at the state of the placenta (if it's healthy looking, then the cord will be too). I had the ob. checking my placenta at every ultrasound, and it was always thick and healthy looking, so no probs there.

A healthy cord can withstand being run over by a truck so a few loops around the neck or a limb are fine.

Please, assure your DH that an active bub is the BEST kind.

Take care

Vanessa
    LEWIS CHARLES born 10th May 2006!!!
    ELIZA born 16th September 2004
    CHARLOTTE born sleeping (40 weeks) 7th December 2002, my Angel

elizm is offline Member

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all the reassurance. I wasn't too worried myself but couldn't really explain to DH why! So I've now told him why all will be ok - basically that everything is so slippery that it all just slides past each other. Vanessa, I suspect this may be what he was thinking too so will remind him that this is how bub 'breathes' too.

Part of the problem may also be that he knows that my grandmother had a baby who was stillborn because the cord was around her neck, so he may also be concerned because of that.

No doubt he will move on to some other worry shortly!
    Elizabeth

Aidan James arrived 26 July, 2005
    10 days early, 5lb 14oz