•  

37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MummySoon is offline Member

Default Getting rid of the gas from laparoscopy?

Hi Ladies and gents,

I had another laparoscopy for endometriosis this week, but this one is by far the worst for pain (I guess finding more may contribute to that- but hey- I'll deal with THAT another day).

Basically I am getting that 'refered' pain that they refer too (oh- tragic pun- blame it on my drugged up state at 5am) from excess gas under my diaphram.

Does anyone know a way to help the gas trapped in my abdonimal cavity pass quicker... I've heard of heat compresses so am trying that- but any other suggestions will be happily used as well. The info sheets say to lye down to reduce discomfort- but something about being woken by the pain says that the lying down isn't all that effective for me!

Thanks ladies! And hugs and mechanical movers so you don't accidentlt crunch your tummies to anyone going through it with me today!

tweeter is offline Member

Awww hun, GBH - after going through a failed laprosocpy last year which failed after they filled me with gas, I can sympathise.

I don't have any suggestions but keep up with the pain relief even if you feel that you don't need it for the first few days, it really makes it easier to maintain the relief from the pain, than to let it get soooo bad and then try and get some relief.

It really is the most awful pain.

Huggles

Lisa
    please do not reproduce any part of my post anywhere
    do not post on fb

DS1 (12) DS2 (9) DS3 (7) DS4 (3) and the perfect pink fullstop to our family DD1 March 2011

Kushiel is offline Member

Nothing really helped with me regarding the gas
    But it does go away eventually!

Goodluck

Sorry I'm not much help!
    My pregnancies...

Admit it.. .. You like the bunny!!!

Thanks Ladies! Those hugs are lovely cause you both did so well at avoiding my tummy! LOL

Lisa- I am so listening to you on that one- there is no possibility of me not taking those meds at least till friday regardless how I feel- cause I know with period pain from the endo if I ever did that it was all over! You think your fine till they wear off- and then no double doses will get it back under control without making you pass out first!

I'm finding that the heat is helping a little, and I'm trying to move about a little (very small walks but more frequent- saw something on the net).
    So let you guys know how that goes too... (although I hope NONE of us have to have the same procedure again)

Kushiel is offline Member

So let you guys know how that goes too... (although I hope NONE of us have to have the same procedure again)
    Amen to that! I hope I never have to have another one of those!!! Or any other op. I'm a big sooky-la-la and don't like them.
    Although I have to say after having a few I've gotten better with it all, not sure if thats a good thing though!
    My pregnancies...

Admit it.. .. You like the bunny!!!

~sassenach~ is offline Member

Oh hun, i hope you are feeling better by now.

I have had 2 keyhole surgeries for endo (within in 12months of each other) and have to go in for another sometime in the near furture i think. They suck, the drink you have to have is disgusting and and the pain is just horrible.

For my second one, a nurse came and propped me up, then had to go, i couldnt lie flat, my buzzer was on the floor and i thought i was gona die from the pain, 30mins later i finally reach my buzzer and a nurse come in (not the same one!!) and they lie me down. The stupid nurse who had propped me up had to go to a call and then went to lunch!! The nurse who laid me down checked my heartrate etc and freaked out cos it was through the roof. Got some lovely morphine for the effort tho

But you could try a heatpack, that sometimes helped but laying flat was the way i tried to ease the pain, i hope that things go well for you and the endo stays away for you.
    Mine is pretty bad and has messed up part of my bowel. Too many years of just thinking that everyone one had pains like this when they had AF. haha guess not, all my stuff down there was "glued" together.

All the best hun.. hope your pain goes away real soon.

red-back is offline Member

Hi mummysoon,
    we generally suggest to our patients to use a heat pack, some gentle walking, and if you lie down do you could try to be in a semi upright position, sometimes lying flat encourages the gas to migrate north.

Rest up hope you recover soon.

Jaybe is offline Member

When I had my appendix removed recently via laproscopic surgery I lay semi-upright with a warm blanket across my belly. It took about 2 hours, but when the gas finally came out I felt 200% better straight away.

I hope you feel better soon mate!
    ME, DH + 4 = our family
    Our final babe joined us at home June 2010

~There is a secret in our culture - its not that birth is not painful, its that women are strong - Laura Stavoe Harm~

*Please do not post my threads on FB, thank you!*

Quote Originally Posted by ryders mum View Post
    For my second one, a nurse came and propped me up, then had to go, i couldnt lie flat, my buzzer was on the floor and i thought i was gona die from the pain, 30mins later i finally reach my buzzer and a nurse come in (not the same one!!) and they lie me down. The stupid nurse who had propped me up had to go to a call and then went to lunch!! The nurse who laid me down checked my heartrate etc and freaked out cos it was through the roof. Got some lovely morphine for the effort tho
    Too many years of just thinking that everyone one had pains like this when they had AF. haha guess not, all my stuff down there was "glued" together.
    oh- what a horrible situation to be in! I found that alot of Drs (going to generalise and say male chauvenists here) seem to want to beleive that ALL period pain is normal! GGGRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by red-back View Post
    we generally suggest to our patients to use a heat pack, some gentle walking, and if you lie down do you could try to be in a semi upright position, sometimes lying flat encourages the gas to migrate north.
    Thanks- I've been doing little walks to the kitchen to heat up the heat pack regularly! And the lying flat-migrate north thing explains why my shoulders hurt MORE when I woke up this morning....

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybe View Post
    When I had my appendix removed recently via laproscopic surgery I lay semi-upright with a warm blanket across my belly. It took about 2 hours, but when the gas finally came out I felt 200% better straight away.
    Oh-Only 2hours- I like the sound of that!

I've cracked it, pulled out the 10kilo sewing machine (know I shouldn't have lifted it but still), and made a heatpack big enough to cover my whole belly! Made with low fire danger materials, filled with mostly rice, but a little oats and a little pot-purri (don't wanna smell like an english breakfast exploded next to a sushi kitchen). All I can say is heaven! the weight is just enough that when it's sitting on my incisions I can 'release' the gas without it pulling on the stitches! Highly recomended. (oh- and I didn't realise it farted out.... the joy! )

Amanda_F is offline Member

I found the easiest way was to kneel on the floor beside the bed with my upper body laying on the bed IYKWIM?

I'm on the waiting list for my next one - not looking forward to it at all .
    Me (28)
    DH (31)
    DD ~ Chloe (2)
    TTC #2 ~ March 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast