37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

Tonytricia is offline New Member

Default downs/high free beta hcg

Hi all

the biochemistry for our 12 week scan came back with a really high reading for free beta hcg. Our obs ws great and explained lots of options from amnio to termination to adoption to a downs baby out living its parents etc etc.

I am curious to know if anyone has a down syndrome baby/child and if the 4.4MoM for free beta has a direct relation to downs or if the high reading just tells us that there is something suspicious and that we should have an amnio. We are having an amnio next week but that seems forever away and the results seem a lifetime after that and the talks of discontinuing or continuing and then not coping and adopting out our baby seem more serious than a suspicious indicator.

Thanks
    Tricia

PS the scan was okay, 1mm and a nice nose bone.
    Trish

Sandra is offline Member

Hi Tricia,

I do not have a downs baby/child and can not offer any personal input sorry. Just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you.

There is further information on the site about genetic testing if you would like to read it, at this link: http://www.birth.com.au/class.asp?class=6602&page=1

Take care sandra

BabyBeesMum is offline Member

Default Tricia

Although I have never been in your situation, my thoughts are with you. I do know one couple who had Amnio done and apparently if you pay an extra $500 you can get a 24 hour turnaround for the test for downs syndrome - which means you dont have to wait for 2 weeks!

I dont know if the readings you have are an exact science, and it may be that the amnio shows that there are no problems whatsoever, just funny reading.

My thoughts are with you, as this is a horrible situation for you to be in at this time of year. Try and stay positive though - depending on what the results are, there are always options for you to consider and whatever happens and whatever you decide, it will be the best decision for you and your family.

Good luck with everything.

Regards
    Lisa :-)

Isabella is offline Member

Dear Tricia,
    I am really saddened to hear your news but where there is uncertainity there is still hope... I have been looking on the web for information for you regarding high free beta hcg levels in pregnancy: here is one of them.

High maternal serum free beta-hCG levels in Down syndrome pregnancies: a preliminary report.

Hsu JJ, Ou YC, Chen KC, Hsieh TT, Soong YK.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan.

To investigate the serum free beta-human chorionic gonadotropin (beta-hCG) value in women carrying Down syndrome fetus, we have retrospectively studied 11 Down syndrome pregnancies and 200 singleton unaffected pregnancies between 15 and 22 weeks' gestation. Each affected pregnancy was assigned at least 15 control cases matched with maternal age and gestational age. The median value of free beta-hCG in Down syndrome pregnancies and unaffected pregnancies was 2.56 multiples of the median (MoM) and 1.06 MoM, respectively. The mean free beta-hCG value after log transformation in Down syndrome pregnancies was 2.01 MoM that was significantly different from that of unaffected pregnancies (1.05 MoM, P = 0.024). There were 54.6% (6/11) of Down syndrome pregnancies and 5% (10/200) of unaffected pregnancies with free beta-hCG levels greater than 2.5 MoM. It is suggested that free beta-hCG may be a potentially useful and superior marker in the detection of Down syndrome pregnancies in our population.

I wish you all the best, I think the amnio is a good idea no matter what your decision may be with regards to the possible outcomes.
    Isa.
    Mother to DS 7 years
    and DD 4 years
    DS born on the 11th of February 2005!!

Tonytricia is offline New Member

Thanks for your replies. Thanks for the information Isa. I too have been looking on the net but had not found that. I had found similar things but the sample groups were ivf pregnancies and that seemed to give a higher reading anyway so it was hard to know how useful the information is. There does seem to be a link between a high reading and downs and I haven't found any other causes for high readings (except ivf and smoking and neither of those apply to me). I guess I will have to wait. I have started researching downs and found the Qld association etc. If the amnio comes back positive I will start to look for a paediatrician who has downs clients. My obs is great and has already mentioned counselling and seeing a genetic counsellor and a few other things so even if we have a downs baby it doesn't seem that bad or scary any more. From my readings it seems that finding a good ped for a baby with a disability can be a challenge.
    Trish

Sandra is offline Member

Hi Tricia,

When you see the genetic counsellor from the hospital ask if they can give you a couple of names of a paediatrician who see babies with disabilities.

The link below is a website for the Association of Genetic Support of Australasia (AGSA) Inc. They provide support, rescources and information.

http://www.agsa-geneticsupport.org.au

Hope this is of some help for you. Take care

Sandra

suzanna is offline New Member

Default High free beta hCG

I am in a similar situation to Tricia. We had the nuclear translucency test yesterday and I had the highest 94 000IU/I. The highest possibile. I have to do an amnio as well. Does anybody know what else can change the free beta hCG score????