37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

Thread: Polyjoule??

Me+Three is offline Member

Default Polyjoule??

Does anyone have any experience using a product called polyjoule??? It is a calorie booster/supplement and I have been recommended to give it to DS to help him gain weight by a paed but I am just curious what it is/what's in it? I have tried to research it but can't find any real info on it. Did you find it easier to add to food or a bottle? DS is b/f but has one EBM bottle at night so I could add it to that. Does it taste strongly? Any info appreciated...

TIA!
    Please do not publish any of my posts or threads on Facebook - Thank you

Me + Him
    DD - 10
    DD - 8
    DS - 5
    DD - Jan 2012
    Two angels in the sky

Hiya,
    Have to feed bub and then I will BB to answer your q
    Becca ( 31 ) & Anthony ( 41 )
    Tenika ( 13 ),Jesse ( 11 ),Tabitha ( 8 ),
    Geordie Amos ( 2 ), Matilda Carmen ( 1 )
    m/c July 2007

We used Polyjoule for DD#2 due to weight issues, it was mixed into a bottle of EBM which she drank without a fuss ( she was 4 months ) and later fed to her through an NG tube.

Unfortunately it didnt work for us I was told to stop b/f and to change her to formula so she went onto Pediasure which has 1 calorie/ml ( also didnt work LOL )

Not sure what is in it but we found it easy to mix into the bottle, I think if anything it made the milk sweeter. If you are worried about the taste why not get a bit on your finger and taste it before adding it to EBM.

Good Luck!!

Feel free to pm me if you have more q's!

Becca
    m/c July 2007

we used polyjoule for a little while and now i am thinking of starting it again so little miss can put back some weight after a recent illness. It is a fine powder made from carbohydrate(maltodextrin). Be careful how much you use becos it can suppress a normal appetite. i don't think it made a huge difference to us but perhaps it will work for you.
    Ava 7 years 25w6days 535grams
    Emily 16 fullterm 9lbs 3oz
    Me 42
    DH 45

daysea is offline Member

Erin was on Polyjoule for ages.

We used to mix it into her formula bottles and then into her solid meals as well. You have to introduce it slowly as it can give them diarrhoea if given too much too soon. It is supposed to be tasteless for them.

I found it easier to mix into food then bottles, it would sometimes go all lumpy in the bottle.

I ended up stopping using it as Erin ate a lot less food when she was getting this as it seemed to keep her fuller for longer so she would refuse her morning and afternoon tea. She is seeing the paed in a couple of weeks and has not been on it since her last visit so will be interesting to see how her weight gain has gone as she eats a lot more without the polyjoule added to things. The paed did tell me that babies usually know how many calories they need in a day so it can be hard to get those extra into them as once they have had enough they will often refuse more food. It sounds really unhealthy but he just has me add butter and cream to nearly everything Erin eats and it seems to help.
    He also told me to let her eat unhealthy snacks if they are fattening, she sounds like a recipe for childhood obesity but the paed has told me she will never have a weight problem so I shouldnt worry so I let her eat unhealthy snacks once she has eaten her healthy foods

I dont think the polyjoule made a lot of difference to be honest as she has always gained weight little by little but always gains so I try not to stress too much about it.

I just go the dietitian with her now and then and tell them what she is eating, they check her out, tell me all is good and so I go home and stop stressing as much

good luck with it all

Kim
    My beautiful daughter born 3/1/06 at 26 weeks and 597g by emergency caesarian due to HELLP Syndrome.

Kim,

My daughter was on a fat-intensive diet also, everything had to be fried, even when she was in hospital they fed her Maccas fries LOL

She is now 6 and still only weighs 12Kg, so I wouldnt worry too much about obesity issues, I wish I had her metabolism LOL
    m/c July 2007

Me+Three is offline Member

Thank you ladies for the help!!! I got the tin today and put it in DS's EBM bottle tonight. He drank it as usual so it doesn't seem to make any difference to the taste for him. He only has to have 2 scoops per day, Erin: Would you still slowly introduce that amount or is that a pretty small amount.

One of the reasons we are introducing it is because we are waiting to get DS allergy tested so I can't introduce any dairy/eggs/fish/wheat etc until he has it done. So adding "fatty' type foods is out of the question for the moment. We are restricted to fruit/veg (& meat which we are starting tomorrow) and rice cereal, none of which are 'bulking up' foods.

It has been suggested to us that we may have to introduce a FF soon but due to the allergy issues; we are holding off on that one (and I am hoping that day will never come...) So hopefully the polyjoule will work some magic!!

Thanks again!!!
    Please do not publish any of my posts or threads on Facebook - Thank you

Me + Him
    DD - 10
    DD - 8
    DS - 5
    DD - Jan 2012
    Two angels in the sky