•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Termites

bebop is offline Member

Unhappy Termites

DP thinks we may have termites, so we're getting some guys out next week to have a look. Bu ti was wondering, if anyone knows roughly how much it costs to get rid of them...even worst case scenario, just so we know roughly what how much we're gonna need to save

TIA
    Jessie 28
    The man 32
    Mr 7
    Baby girl due Oct 27th

EmptyField is offline Member

We got a good deal and it cost us $1000, mate of a mate did it! Not sure how much it would of cost if we hadn't got mate's rates.

They did a great job too, drilled a hole every 30cm or so and filled it with termite killer stuff and then plugged the hole so next year they just remove the plug and refill with chemicals. The went under the house and sprayed and drilled holes in the tree's and put chemicals in there also.
    Last edited by Amalz; 11-05-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    Hugs to Zzagkema xoxox

Abbycat is offline Member

Question The eternal question

The eternal question..."How to get rid of termites" It's up there with "what's the meaning of life?" I reckon LOL.

We had aresenic treament done by a local guy here and it was good for a while (it cost about $1000 from memory and we get regular checks included), but the little buggers are back with a vengence! And where we repaired the damage from the last lot.

I think my DH said that we will try a perimeter treatment next. It is also a stab in the dark, and not really the ultimate way to get rid of them, but we are so keen to try anything now, and surely such a treament will get them from coming in wherever it is. That costs around $4000 But if it works, it will be better value in the long run, as that is how much repeated repairs will cost.

We hate the little b*stards (excuse my language, but termites do that to you LOL).
    A Pigeon Pair!

boo_cat is offline Member

I've never got them as such but just for a pre-treatment incase for us is $300/yr
    ME DH =
    DS & DD
    6 Furry babies

DD's Birth Story

bebop is offline Member

looks like we've got a few fun weeks of canned baked beans dinners coming up hopefully DP is only loosing his mind and we don't really have them...but i doubt it
    Jessie 28
    The man 32
    Mr 7
    Baby girl due Oct 27th

I have family members who work in pest control...and sorry to tell you - you're going to be eating a LOT of baked beans.

It depends on the size of your house. You're looking at anywhere between $2000 and $4000. And if you DO have termites and they've done damage...ack.

Lauren D is offline Member

OMG - this is surly one of my favorite topics (NOT )

2 years ago we purchased a house (lovely dream house) had all the right things done IE termite inspection, building inspection...

Dh was in the back yard one day and his foot went through one of the sleepers.. Oops.. Full of termites

So had Inspector back and sure enough they had eaten out our Laundry, toilet area and gotten into the study!

We ripped it all out and rebuilt the internals, found out where they had been coming in and treated the area.

Get a phone call 12 months later for annual inspection and what do they find??? More BLOODY Termites! Now they have eaten out the wall frames in one of the bedrooms and bathroom! So we spent this easter ripping all that out and rebuilding.

Sorry, Back to the original Question - We had an external drill treatment done Cost approx $2000.00 has no guarantee, he was supposed to come back in 21 days and we haven't heard from him yet, *mental note to call on Monday* It is absolutely devastating and they do not offer a guarantee on most of their product. When he comes back we are getting him to 'dust' above the bathroom because we found millions of the little critters there.

There is a set of pics in my Flickr called termites its the damage from the first lot we had feel free to have a look

PM me if you would like any info, i have done my research (forced) and should be able to help you out with some info.

EDIT: Make sure you or DH are home when they do the Inspection, It is interesting to see what they are doing and how. It gives you some idea on how to keep an eye out for them in the future!
    Last edited by Lauren D; 12-05-2007 at 08:36 AM.
    Me - 28 + DH - 29 = Moo - 11, Boo - 9 & Gabby - 2
    This is my wish for u, Laughter to kiss your lips, Smiles when sadness intrudes, Comfort on difficult days, Rainbows to follow the clouds, Sunsets to warm your heart, Hugs when spirits lag, Friendships to brighten your being, Beauty for your eyes to see, Faith so that you can believe, Confidence for when you doubt, Courage to know yourself & Love to complete your life. (Anonymous)

pamb is offline Member

Also if you're in the burbs you have to make sure your neighbours are checked/get rid of them too.

It took a year and a half for mum to get rid of hers, we had the termite ninja who practically knew them all by name. We had 3 different kinds in the trees around out house and the ones inside used to eat 2kg of bait in 2 months. This guy once got out of his truck and started digging because he'd seen an invisible nest under the ground (we have no idea how he did this!)

Termites are bastards, Sydney's manly warf is being eaten, not the ones near the shore the 6th pylon out into the water because they can build tunnels on the bottom of the water.

blerg!
    Me, Him
    Jet 31w5d May 06
    Quinn 35w5d May 11

"It seemed to me," said Wonko the Sane, "that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilization in which I could live and stay sane."

kelnbj is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by pamb View Post
    Also if you're in the burbs you have to make sure your neighbours are checked/get rid of them too.
    That's a really good point. I had a friend whose house was constantly under attack by termites. But no one could find the nest for ages. Turns out the nest was over 500m away, and termites were trekking to and from my friends house, and not bothering with any other houses on the way They are evil little suckers!

Hope your DP is wrong and you don't have termites

Good luck!!!
    Me (28)
    DH (35)
    DD 12/4/06[/B]
    Due 4/8/09

Corrie is offline Member

I just said to hubby 3 hours ago - "Are these termites?" wandering around our study looking in dark places.

We had our yearly inspection 4 weeks ago and supposedly nothing!

BUT - Every bit of paperwork they provide has a 'get out' clause for them, if they don't find anything it's just our bad luck. We aren't covered at all. They only have to 'do their best'.

And as for the baked beans - depends how bad the damage is - sorry - but if your house needs rebuilding, it's your cost. Mmm, great news as I've just about to lose my income to give birth to #2, hope mine doesn't need rebuilding.........

And I HATE baked beans.
    Me 41
    Hubby 35

Tamar Jacqueline 6th Dec 2004
    Teign William 3rd June 2007
    2 Angels missed muchly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast