35 - 36 week

•  

37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

alegna is offline Member
    Brisbane, South, In a house with my boys!

Default Blood clots ... after c-section

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what do blood clots feel like?

It's been 8 mths since my c-section and I played a game of netball the week before last. My legs are so sore!! I know some of it is muscular but I have a strange dull like pain in the side of my knee in one leg and in the back of the other all the time, even when I'm not doing anything.

Probably over-reacting but wondered if it could be something more serious?

I very unfit and expected some pain after the game but it's been like a week and a half, I'm taking panadine to control the pain it's that bad and have trouble getting up even off a chair.

I know I won't be playing netball again too soon! Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
    (`'(`'(`' Angela - 27 ')')')

.:**:.MY BOYS::.:**:.
    DH :: Scott - 31
    DS :: Lachlan Thomas - 04.03.03 :: c-section ~ DS :: Ryan Alexander - 29.09.05 :: c-section
    ~ BOY cat :: Tiga

franzilla is offline Member

Hi Angela,

I had blood clots in both my lungs 7 weeks after my csection with Luke. Most commonly if they develop as a result of surgery its within 6-8 weeks after the op. Signs of clots in the legs are pain and tenderness, very red and swollen, hot to the touch. Can you feel a lump at all? For something as serious as this you should call your doctor if you suspect you may have a clot. They generally travel from the legs to the lungs within hours to a few short days at most.

HTH,

Fran
    FRANCESCA: solo mommy to three SPECTACULAR children
    Bella, Gina & Luke
    ....Yes, prince charming really does exist....
    and he loves ME ......

alegna is offline Member
    Brisbane, South, In a house with my boys!

Thanks Fran,

How did you know that you had them in your lungs?

Mum was rubbing my legs the other day and said there was a lump in one of them but can't remember which one. I just wondered if by exercise could I have dislodged a clot I guess?

Oh I don't know they just hurt so bad I guess I'm looking for other reasons.
    (`'(`'(`' Angela - 27 ')')')

.:**:.MY BOYS::.:**:.
    DH :: Scott - 31
    DS :: Lachlan Thomas - 04.03.03 :: c-section ~ DS :: Ryan Alexander - 29.09.05 :: c-section
    ~ BOY cat :: Tiga

Skye is offline Member

If you suspect Deep vein thrombosis or blood clots I would definitely go and see a doctor straight away. Dont mess around with these kinds of things...better to feel silly and over worried than suffer the consequences. I googled and found a really good site that might be of use.
    Good luck
    Skye

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/blood...article_em.htm

franzilla is offline Member

Hi Angela,

In answer to your question, I had NO idea I had clots in my lungs. I'd been sick with a head and chest cold for about 48 hours. I'm an asthmatic so its not uncommon for my colds to make me have difficulty breathing. I just thought I was having another bad asthma attack. I think the average person who did not suffer from asthma would have known something was wrong by that point. Over the course of about 3 hours my breathing got so tight that I felt like I was slowly suffocating - DH made me go to the hospital.....I insisted on driving myself its only 10 minutes away and I truly thought it was my asthma (sooo stupid of me, what was I thinking ). After the doctor asked me a zillion q's he sent me for a CT scan....I was so mad, lol!!!! I just wanted a breathing treatment for my "asthma attack" and to go home!!!! When I got back from the scan nurses and doctors were everywhere rushing around me and and poking me with needles and telling me to just say calm. The original doctor came back into the room and said to me, "My dear, you have blood clots in both your lungs." I was like wtf???? I asked him if I was going to be ok and he said yes....and then he said....thank God I came in when I did or I wouldn't have made it through the night. That was the #1 scariest moment of my life and I'll never forget it as long as I live. Thats why I advise anybody who for any reason suspects a clot to seek medical advice immediately!!!!!!! Did you end up calling your doctor?

Fran
    FRANCESCA: solo mommy to three SPECTACULAR children
    Bella, Gina & Luke
    ....Yes, prince charming really does exist....
    and he loves ME ......

tracie-lee is offline Member

hi ange,

my DH recently developed DVT in the calf muscle after knee surgery, it developed within about 4days of the surgery. he didnt really have much pain when sitting, but when he stood up, the pressure in his calf just built up & was unbearable.. we werent sure if it was 'normal' after surgery or not. within a few days after that he developed a fever, so being a friday night, we got him to the medical centre & he was on anti-biotics over the weekend. his temp came down a bit & he felt a bit better, but we headed off to the surgeon on the monday for peace of mind.. well, we got more than what we bargained for - he was diagnosed with DVT & likely staf infection & was hospitalised straight away. because he had had some shortness of breath the week before, he was sent for a chest scan immediately, luckily his lungs were clear..

go to your doctor & ask for his opinion - if you have DVT in the legs, there will likely be some swelling around the ankles etc, however, it will be properly diagnosed with an ultrasound of your legs..

it may not be anything to worry about & may be just from the netball, but its better to play it safe!!

all the best,
    tracie-lee
    Me 40
    DH 36
    ***Our Little Surprise ~~DS#1~~ Arrived Aug06***
    ***Extra Surprise~~DS#2~~ Arrived Jan08***

~3 Bright Stars back in the sky~

Abbycat is offline Member

Hi Alegna!

One of my good friends had blood clots in her legs after her c-section and that was identified in about a fortnight from memory. Not long after she bought her baby home anyway. She had terrible cramping in her legs and it could not be moved with physio. Actually, it was her physio who identifed that she had the clots and not her Ob. So, thankfully her physio was on the ball. She was on blood pressure medication too, so the Ob thought that in her situation clots would be extremely rare. But that was far from the case. So, I think that if you at all worried about it, get it checked out ASAP. It was even a compulsary question from my MCHN at my two week post natal/baby check up as to if I may have experieneced any cramping in my legs which is the first symptom of clotting. It is a standard question. I did not have a c-section, but I still think they ask as you never know about these things. I think that even with a vaginal birth it can still be a possibility.

So, yes, if concerned get it checked out. Hope all is well though.
    A Pigeon Pair!

ajandj is offline Member

are blood clots common after a CS ?
    me 35
    dad 36

Jack 3/6/00
    baby Sara Jane 2/10/06