35 - 36 week

•  

37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

wowzah is offline Member

Default Gluten Free Dinner for a new baby 'gift' ideas please!

Hi ladies

A supermum I know is awaiting her 3rd bubba soon, and a group of us want to make up some meals for their family as our gift to them.

Mum and kids eat gluten free, so I need some ideas as I have never cooked this way! The kids are both under 3.

Thanks ladies
    Last edited by wowzah; 12-11-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Japh is offline Member

I eat gluten free and make a lot of my normal recipes but modify them to suit.

Two easy ones are Shepherds pie as normal but I use gluten free flour to thicken the sauce. And Lasagna with gluten free pasta and use gluten free flour in the cheese sauce. My fave and even DH can't tell it is gluten free. You can just het the lasagne sheets from the normal se toon if the supermarket now - I think they are San Remo brand.

This is the best gluten free "bread" substitute I have found.

It also works BRILLIANTLY as a pizza base (even non-gluten free people love it)

GF Wrap Sandwich Success Gluten Free Gobsmacked

Lots of "normal" meals from scratch can easily be made gluten free, crustless pies, casseroles, etc, just use corn flour or the likes to thicken (NOTE, many "corn flours" are made from wheat so you need to check which one you get)
    Panda
    DS1: 2006
    DS2: 2009

Angel Baby Boy born sleeping from T18 (19w1d): 2011
    DD1: 2013

MyOpinions

jayde84 is offline Member

Hi there, I am a coeliac so everything HAS to be gluten free

Lasagna is a good idea, make with gluten free lasagna sheets (best brand is San Remo, this is in the pasta aisle of the supermarket), make with all ingredients from scratch. Whole Peeled tomatoes (read ingredients panel, some manufacturers put crap in), tomato paste (leggos is gf), fresh vegies if you like, mince cooked in oil is fine. Please remember that you have to grate cheese yourself - buying grated cheese is not gluten free, as manufacturers coat it in flour to prevent sticking, and in Aust the laws state if the cheese is COATED in something to prevent sticking, they don't have to list the ingredient!!!

Rice is gluten free, so you can make a curry (lots of the recipe bases state gluten free, check out the curry aisle), you can also get some Chang's Hoisin sauce (from asian aisle) and use that as a recipe base for another meal with rice!

Might be a good idea to get some Heinz Steam Fresh packs too, these are great!!! Also buy some cheap disposable containers for Mum to put the right meal sizes into for everyone, she would really appreciate this - we were given heaps of meals by my Mum but had nothing to put them in LOL!

If you need to check anything, PM me as I am full on knowledge and happy to help
    Apologies for my spelling and grammatical errors, I am usually on my phone.
    Please do not repost anything I write here on facebook, nor any other sites.

A-to-Z is offline Member

Porcupines - I just swap the little bit of flour that the meatballs are rolled in with rice flour. They are meatballs cooked in tomato soup in the oven.
    A born Jan 07 ♥
    Z born June 08 ♥

zeeeb is offline Member

alot of indian food is gluten free, so curries...
    I have 2 gorgeous girls, nearly 3 years and nearly 5 years old

My Weightloss Journey started 95kg 90 85 80 75 goal 70kg