37 - 38 week

•  

39 - 40 week

•  

41 - 42 week

tracie-lee is offline Member

Question Weight Loss prior to Pregnancy

Hi All,

I just wanted to know what people thought of this.. I understand that to give our children a healthy start, we should be at our own physical best, however, I would be interested to know what ppl think about being overweight before getting pregnant..

I am approx. 20kgs overweight & would love to lose it before getting pregnant, however, i dont want to wait that long to ttc again.. I realise that it will be easier for me physically to be slimmer, but i just want to be getting pregnant now!!

My husband says I should be able to lose weight for the sake of our baby, to give it the best chance possible, i know he is right - but i just want to be pregnant!!

Is being overweight going to have a significant impact on my babies health or is it likely to increase my chances of gestastional diabetes &/or hypertension & therefore impact on the baby? (I walk 3 times a week, dont smoke or drink to excess.)

Thoughts please..
    Me 40
    DH 36
    ***Our Little Surprise ~~DS#1~~ Arrived Aug06***
    ***Extra Surprise~~DS#2~~ Arrived Jan08***

~3 Bright Stars back in the sky~

shellfowler Guest

Hi Tracie-Lee,
    I am not really in here for a debate but I thought I could reply to your post anyway!
    I was about 15-20kgs above my healthy weight range when I fell pregnant. I had a few months before falling pregnant where I tried to lose some weight but it didnt work! lol.

Anyway I am 30weeks now and sitting at 3kgs Under my start weight! The doctor says that it is very normal for those of us who had a bit of weight to start with to not actually gain anything more or even lose weight like in my case because of the faster metabolism being pregnant gives. I was also pretty sick in the first 12 weeks so didnt eat much although what I did eat was fast food which isnt good. Since then however I have been working at eating really healthy foods. Lots of Oranges! It has come really easy to me now that I am pregnant to eat well for the sake of Coda's health. He is measuring perfect for his week so my weight loss certainly hasnt affected him.

I just had my GD test 2 weeks ago and that was perfect. My Blood pressure is always perfect.
    I dont smoke or drink either. Although I also dont walk 3 times a week which I really should! Does walking around the shopping centre count?

My Dr is very happy with how my weight has been and she predicts that I wont know myself weight wise after Coda is born considering there is some more weight loss there to come! And I plan to breast feed so it is all looking really good for me. I always thought pregnancy would suit my body!
    As for how I am coping physically, I am just great!! Loving being pregnant and other than stretch marks (which I had some of anyway) my Body is holding up perfectly.
    I am now around the same weight as some of the July girls that started 15-20kgs less than me and in there healthy weight range

Anyway I hope I have made you feel a bit better... I wouldnt be waiting to TTC just for weight loss! Lifes too short

Shell
    p.s. I am not saying that my good luck will happen to all overweight people! You know what I mean!

KatieC is offline Banned

Heya Tracie-lee,

Im not really debating either, because I don't really know at what stage it is getting too unhealthy to be pregnant, but I can offer one bit of advice.

If you DO get pg while already overweight, within reason (I mean, still eat sensibly), try really hard not to put on too much weight while pregnant.

I was only slightly overweight when I got pg, and I put on a MASSIVE amount of weight while pg, not sure exactly how much, but about 45kg I guess in the back of my mind I thought, "Im pregnant, Im allowed to get fat"... well I am still stuck with a lot of that weight, and am now still about 15kg above my pre-pregnancy weight.... eight months after my son was born

Its not just that I hate being overweight, but it took such a MASSIVE toll on my body carrying around that much weight. I had a terrible back and pelvis, which still bothers me now, but has SLOWLY got better, but my body is still having a bad time coping with it all. I wake up each morning and it takes me ages to 'warm up' and get moving properly - I am positive this is to do with being overweight as I was quite fit and healthy before.

Like I said, not a debate, but just some friendly advice

Cheers,
    Katie

Tannie is offline Member

Thumbs up Go for it girl!!

tracie-lee,
    I was about 15 kgs overweight when fall pg........I think fitness (i.e. being able to be mobile regularly without puff.....) is more important then actual weight......
    Having said that - I was determined not to let myself go whilst pregnant and put on vast amounts of weight as I have seen how hard it is to loose afterwards and how some women never loose it again - besides, it's really unhealthy etc........I never wanted to use pregnancy as an excuse to pig out or eat what I wanted, when I wanted..........

In the end - I didn't have to worry or even try as I had pretty bad morning sickness and then just that feeling all the time of being a tad nauseous! However, I did concentrate very much on eating well and healthily & found I was very motivated to do this for myself and my bubby..........in the end I only put on 6.5kgs during pregnancy and now 2 months later, I think I'm actually a little less then I was pre-preg................

Oh - BTW - my OB didn't weigh me at all! He doesn't believe in it - says it's more important to just make sure healthy - he only weighs if he thinks there's a problem (obviously gaining too much or losing too much....) - as he did regular u/s scans in his office (each visit) as long as bub was developing normally - he didn't worry about my weight. He says there is WAY too much emphasis on weightgain etc in pregnancy & I would have to agree! I only got weighed by my GP at start & then in hosp going in for elective C/S so they could calculate drug doses basically

So - in short - get pg if you want to! I wouldn't bother with weightloss before - you'll just make yourself miserable and possibly even disrupt your cycles Just concentrate on eating healthily and getting regular gentle exercise - don't forget the good "baby making" exercise too

Good luck!
    Therese
    # 1 DD born 17-2-2005
    # 2 EDD 23-2-2006

2 Bubs 12 months apart..........ummm.........it's gonna be fun!!